Friday, November 2, 2007

Planning Ahead


The photo is from last Christmas. Now on to the post. For all of those who know me well it should come to no surprise to you that I'm already talking about Christmas.
I am one of the first ones to send out Christmas cards (except for last year). The smell of cinnamon and pine stays throughout my house from the day after Thanksgiving.
Christmas is the about the birth of our Savior. It also brings out traditions we want our kids to have. It brings out togetherness. We rarely have a lot of money to spend on gifts, and such, but we give of ourselves every way we can. The traditions that have come to our family over the years are traditions that stay in my heart and in my soul. Wendy or I make a birthday cake for Jesus every year to help the children remember this day is about Jesus. Mom always prepares something from her heart for each of us girls, and the grandkids. It's one of those things you cherish and put in the hope chest. Brian always takes the kids to the reindeer farm where the sleigh rides and reindeer bring joy and magic no matter what there ages are. The kids always make a glitter project to put on the tree, even as they get older they will make one at home for me. As we put the tree up there is a story with every ornament, it's memories more for me than anyone. And almost like a beacon my children, and every child I know is drawn to the Nativity scene at any house we go to. These are just some of the traditions I enjoy.
As most of you know I have less than 60 days to complete my classes. Should be easy with me staying at home instead of working full time. It isn't that easy. With the self improvement I have had repeated doctor's visits to attend, daily laundry, house keeping, meals, taxi service, etc. to contend with along with Anatomy 2 (it's a hard subject for me). The holidays are quickly approaching. Thanksgiving is like 2 weeks away, Brian's 40th birthday, Madeline's big 13th birthday, and Christmas. The way I figure it is I have a full plate ahead of me. So please don't think I've lost my mind, but I will be taking the weekends to start on holiday traditions. I will be decorating a little early this year. Baking and freezing holidays goodies the day after Thanksgiving. I will also be mailing out Christmas cards Thanksgiving weekend. For those of you who "don't do Christmas cards" I will still be sending you one anyway. It's just what I do. Christmas cards are my way of saying how special you are to me, how much you have meant to me in my life.
The point of this post is just to let everyone know I'm not crazy, I'm just mass planning.

4 comments:

Emily Jade said...

I hear you! Even without finishing a class, these things sneak up on a body!!

Speaking of traditions -

The nicest thing about living in IL is the fact that we have made our own Christmas traditions. In OH, we were largely dependant on everyone elses traditions, which meant that mine was to run around like a madwoman on Christmas Day to try and attend to each one. As I have a very large "grandparent" base (not that this is a complaint), Christmas Day was about looking at the clock and budgeting time to make it to everyones celebrations.
Here - not so. Noel's family assembles at ONE location on Christmas Eve. We sing Christmas songs and there is music and light and laughter! The Christmas Story is read by a brother-in-law, to remind us of the reason for the season. Christmas Dinner is at midnight. Gifts are exchanged, and we come home to prepare for Santa. Christmas Day is spent together at home, never leaving the PJs and eating Christmas day dinner at home! Relaxing, to say the least :O)

BTW - it's not that I don't "do" cards...I just never mail them :O)

Unknown said...

lol...I wasn't even talking about you and the Christmas cards. Me and you have a Christmas vent session that covers everything and then some. And I really hope after all these years you know how special you are to me.

Wendy said...

I was just talking to Sienna about Christmas last night. I just can't wait for Christmas to get here. I love Christmas always but this year I seem to be a little extra eager. However, I would like to relocate the month of November to another location on the calendar.

Anonymous said...

I love this post! I have instilled in my daughters "family" and the birthday cake...goes way back when Michelle and Danielle were pulled up the church aisle in a red wagon, with a birthday cake saying "Happy Birthday, Jesus".. That is sooo special to me...and now to my girls...I'm so proud of them..although Sierra is now an "elf"
at Christmas...big changes as we grow..life is good!