Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Shopping facts for the everyday chubby girl



When you are a kid shopping is different. This was one of my favorite bathing suits of all times. Why you may ask? Bottom line I felt pretty in it. I loved the little zippers at the side, and I loved the fact that my cousin had one to match mine. (By the way the picture was given to me this way I did NOT cut the adults out in the background) I didn't care if it was in style, and I didn't care if anyone else liked it.
My fashion sense today is somewhat similar. I never dress with the current fall line, or for that matter I don't wear anything in style. I will admit I don't own one piece of clothing that really makes me feel "pretty" besides my toe ring that I only wear at bedtime when I take my shoes off. So when I went out to get jeans the other day I told myself I wasn't going to buy a pair that I was going to cut into shorts in two weeks, if I didn't feel somewhat "pretty" in them I wasn't going to buy them. I bought a pair that I really liked, and believe it or not my butt looks smaller in them. You know if I'm saying that those jeans are well worth their money. You may be asking 'where can I get those butt is smaller looking jeans'? Well let me tell you it isn't at any of the finest plus size stores. It's at your local walmart. They are a Rider/Lee brand. Before you snarl your nose up hear me out. The product line is "Instantly Slims You". Giggle all you want, but these jeans work for me. You know that bottom belly that pouches ever so slightly after you have kids....it disappears in these jeans. I'm not lieing. Try a pair on if you don't believe me.
Now for some important shopping facts:
1. Just because you are one size at the more well known plus size shops doesn't really mean you are that big. Try different sizes on with different brand names, and at different stores.
2. Try on different colors even if you hate that color in the crayon box it may look good on you in fabric.
3. Shop with a buddy, particularly a honest one.
4. If clothes shopping is depressing you feel free to step over to the shoes section.
5. If you are a seasonal shopper that buys a purse to match every season please feel free to send some of your old handbags my way.
I am sorry this post got a little lengthy, it wasn't what I originally intended it to be.

6 comments:

Wendy said...

I was jealous of your and Sarah's bathing suits.

Danielle said...

okay, a couple of comments...first..I think I remember you and sarah and your matching bathing suits!? I think I was jealous too! I had one of those bathing suits that I loved when I was about 11...it disappeared far before I was ready to let go of it..I still wonder where it went.

And, secondly, I am going to have to try out those jeans...I'm okay with butt...but tummy is another story!!

My old roomate Carrie Christine (also a chubby girl!) was a fabulous shopping partner and she had imbeccable taste! I have to credit at least half of my fashion sense to her...I miss shopping with that girl! And when a fellow chubby girl lives across the hall from you, it's like twice the wardrobe! We were well dressed in those days...well dressed!

And if you are serious about purses...I think I can hook a girl up!

Unknown said...

I would love to see a picture of these amazing jeans...do you plan on posting one?

Unknown said...

Danielle I am serious as a heart attack about the purses. Give me a call and we will work something out.

Wendy said...

Shell, you know I'll be expecting my cut. Remember what almost happened to your black purse!! I would hate to have to take that kind of action again.

Emily Jade said...

uh oh...I need a post to explain the black purse thing...

while most of my wardrobe is gym wear, I can say that I splurge a little on the purses. It's becoming a nasty little habit. I'm lucky to have a current supplier that stocks Coach at my current price - FREE!!

As sad as it is...I confess...I'm a handbag whore, and WILL build my wardrobe around a favorite seasonal purse...sick, I know...