Thursday, November 8, 2007

Here Is My Voice....What Do I Do With It?



Last night was conference night. It went well, the kids are doing great. Brandon is very social (translation he talks a lot). Madeline is well balanced (translation she can be partnered with anyone as a lab partner).


I did have concerns though with the presentation of conferences. Don't hesitate to tell me I'm being to picky. Two out of the three teachers were caught off guard with my questions. Part of Maddie's school fees was a scientific calculator, which she doesn't have yet. The teacher said that higher up said they wouldn't be here till the end of November, even though she is teaching the kids now how to use the calculators. I asked her what math curriculum was being used....she hesitated for the longest time and then gave me the name of the book. PROBLEM 2 The children are supposed to complete these AR books for points to see where the child's reading level is. The quick points are easy reader books, not chapter books. They post scores up of the points though. My question for the teacher is how are these points showing us where my child's reading level is? The teacher paused....and said Brandon is a great reader, he's doing fine. And then let me know that the computers in the classroom are not even working and hasn't all year, and Brandon is trying to take these AR tests in other classrooms that have computers. He said that these tests are no big deal, and he isn't even going to post the points because all the kids are not able to get to the computers. Am I being over critical? If I ask the administration why school fee items are not being handed out in a timely manner, and why my child has no working computers in the classroom am I rocking the boat? And furthermore the state achievement tests is not even close to giving me an accurate reading as a parent at how much my kid has learned through school. Example: Have you ever remembered a phone number long enough to dial it, but ten minutes after that couldn't say what the number is? That is how I feel about the state tests. There is a lot of gray area with these tests, and I don't want either one of my children floating through this gray.
After conferences last night here is my outlook. The school is teaching the subject overview material that kids are suppose to know. The parents need to teach the children the material at home. The school is a battlefield of social highs and lows. The child's home is the mission control center to equip our children with the armour and knowledge of how to handle the battlefield. I will no longer challenge those who home school their children. Who am I to say that home schooling doesn't work? Religion is all but banned from schools today, yet it is only God that is protecting my babies at school. Schools are teaching our children to be individuals, but wanting them to conform to their way of teaching so quickly. I welcome your opinions on today's post.

5 comments:

Danielle said...

Hmmm..I have so many strong opionions on education. I hope we are able to make good decisions when the time comes.

I think you seem to be doing well with yours. Parents being involved is most certainly the key! Especially in public education!

I am a big fan of the homeschooling, since it seems to make sense to me that a one on one or one on two or three is a better teacher ration than 1 to 30! And what if my kid is really intelligent and being held back by the pace of the rest...or just needs a little extra help, but can't get it with a 1 to 30 ratio.

*sigh* so many things to worry about. I guess I'll out off worryin about it for a few more years :)

Danielle said...

P.S. I don't think I actually ahve to patients for homeschooling...but you never know! Oh ya, and my husband won't let me....

Wendy said...

I think you're very legitimate in your concerns and questions. I do feel the supplies bought with the school fees should be given out in a timely manner. I mean the school will hold the child's grade card until the school fees are paid so why would they attempt to teach material before the student has the proper supplies to learn the material?

We know the kids bring home TONS of homework these days that require much help from the parents. So, this is how I'm looking at the school system these days: They are my partner in my child's education. I will say that it is my responsibility to make sure that my child has a good education. The school is my biggest tool. However, the school needs to be held accountable. Why doesn't my child have her calculator if you're already teaching the material? It's paid for. To me, that is the school dropping the ball. At the very least, lessons should have been rearranged to accommodate the lack of calculator.

I understand the school has responsibilty~ safety of hundreds of kids and trying to reach and teach all of these children. The sad truth is that children fall through the cracks. Teachers are simply humans and kids are out of control. However, I'm going to make sure my child doesn't fall through the cracks. I'm going to let my expectations be known. I will be understanding and flexible, but some things require a firm stance. It's a fine line, Shell, but I do feel that you have a voice that is intended to be used. If you don't stand up for what your children deserve then who will? You're not asking for anything special for your children, just their basic education and everything that entails, like a calculator and a prepared teacher for conferences.

Emily Jade said...

Wow. I'm suprised that this is such a problem. Here I'm just pissed that I had to fight for an IEP.
From the point of the absent calculators - we had a BIG problem about 4 years ago, the schools ran out of bond paper in April. As parents we were required to supply all of our kids with one pack of bond paper for the end of the year. In addition, no more printing homework or class assignments at school. MAJOR problem for any child in an IEP program for LA. I can tell you this - school board meetings later - NEVER had another problem. These people that we give our hard earned $$ to should be held accountable. If we are late for anything else - interest is charged... that's a whole 'nother ball of wax!!

I sat GO TO A BOARD MEETING. Gather parents - you are not going to be the only person pissed about this - I promise. Show up enmasse to a board meeting with an agenda, and BE HEARD!! We pay school taxes for a reason. Ours are through the roof. There is also a website that lists all teachers and admin's salaries. Yes, this is public domain. It will curl your hair...

I'm not sure about OH, but in IL they are not allowed to withhold grades from parents - for any reason. Schools may try - but out here, you can fight it with only a phone call or nasty-gram.

Also, achools here are required to provide parents with a curriculum per grade level. Period. End of discussion. We may not like the ones that they use, but we at least have the knowledge.

I could be a fan of homeschooling - but I'd be apeshit within a week. I know this...and am fighting to get Evan the additional work that he needs to stay "sharp". Out here, if your kids needs help, and you have an IEP - help is given :O) Can't say enough about that!!

Emily Jade said...

I forgot - WHAT a CUTE pic of you :O)