Friday, January 4, 2008

Coolest Mom I Know....Me



Yes, I know I have a little bit of self confidence there in the title. Moving on to the reason for the post. I have finished my classes for medical billing/coding, and am now awaiting my scores. YEAH!! Since I now have a touch of time on my hands I decided to do some reading before my surgery on Monday. I was expecting to gain insight from some wise author as my fellow bloggers have. This did not happen. The book was about things cool moms should know, and obviously be able to do. I will highlight some of the finer points along with my own take on them.
  1. Cool point number one: Study the two major meteor showers, and watch a shooting star with you child. As I was sitting in the parking lot waiting for Bub last night I seen a little light in the sky. I hadn't studied the meteor showers yet, but I thought I'd give it a try. I said all excited like a cool mom would, "Hey Mad, make a wish it's a shooting star" Maddie said all teenager like, "Mom I'll make a wish, but that light up there moving slow and blinking is just a plane." This idea of mine may have worked if the child was younger.
  2. Cool point number two: The book tries to teach us mothers how to catch and throw while being cool in the eyes of our kids. If you know a thing about me you know I can't catch or throw. But I thought why not try to learn. As I asked my kids to play catch with me my only son said to me, "okay mom I'll try to teach you, but I can't promise you that you'll learn how in just one trip off the couch." That wasn't the worst of it. The entire family thought they should gather around to try and see mom catch. Did I catch? Not that day. Let's think about this shall we.....in order to learn how to catch one must be willing to stand there and let another individual throw objects at us till we time it out and catch. This is why I never learned. Again this idea may have worked if I was dealing with younger children.
  3. Cool point number three: teach your children to listen to their cat (with illustration). I'm not kidding. My kids know when the cat is hissing that she is not happy. My kids know when the cats but is higher in the air than her head to get out of her direct line of vision. Again possibly if they were younger this would be good advice.

Now what I walked away from out of this book was if you are going to try and be cool with your kids do it when they are young. Bottom line as they get older is if your cool your letting them do what they want, if you are uncool you are trying to guide them through life. All I can hope for is to be "alright". My main job at this point is to help guide them, try not to screw them up to bad, and help them be happy with themselves as they find their own inner qualities they want to hold on to.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on finishing your classes!!!!

Emily Jade said...

I'll post this for Maddie...

Maybe your Mom shouln't have slept through Earth Science class in high school...

Emily Jade said...

YOU FINISHED!!!!!

WAY TO GO CHELLE!!!

I'm SO proud of you!!!!