Thursday, December 18, 2008

My Word

What is our word worth today? I guess that depends on the person. I've tried to teach this to my children, and it's a little more difficult that I once thought it was. Sometimes you can tell your kids we will go here on this day, and when that day comes it's a blizzard outside or something and it doesn't happen. Well things happen right, of course, but if we make habits of this our word doesn't mean a whole lot. So I've went with the approach of saying I promise or I give you my word. An example came up the other night and the kids really seen what 'My word' meant. A mother had approached me at the beginning of the school year about her daughter and choir. She didn't want her daughter to be in choir because she knew she wouldn't be able to take her to all the concerts. So I told her that I gave her my word that her daughter would have a ride to all the concerts. The first concert was Tuesday and Maddie was afraid to remind me about my word to this family because of all the things we had going on that night. When I called the mom to confirm what time I was picking up her daughter, Madeline asked me after I hung up"Mom why did you tell her you would pick her up there's no way you can?" I said to her, " Maddie I gave that mom my word and that will come first and I will figure everything else out." And I did and it all worked out. Later that night Maddie says, "Mom I'm really glad your word is something we can count on" TEACHING LESSON INSERT HERE "Well Maddie your word is all you have sometimes people have to count on it. Why do you think you can count on God's Word? Because His word is something that we can count on, something we can stand on, and believe" LIGHT BULB GOES ON HERE "Oh...I get it."

5 comments:

Danielle said...

great teaching lesson! on another note, you look fabulous!!

The Polo Club said...

Wow, that is a great lesson that many people (including adults) need to learn more. What it means to keep your word. Excellent life lesson. I hope I can teach it to my children that effectively.

Anonymous said...

In life we give our children more than material things (which come and go). What stays with them is what you showed Madeline. Your word is more important than anything. It parallels down with what God said.
"His Word is True...and will stand forever".... What better example could you have showed?

Anonymous said...

Michell. you look great,very beautiful in our eyes.the way you are teaching those kids keeping your word, this will go with them all thru life, keep up the good work,we are very proud of you, love you all lots ,,,mamaw

Etta said...

How beautiful you look.
Both inside and out! Keep up
the good work.
Love Aunt Etta