Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Cutting Corners

As most of you know I've been looking for work since the beginning of July it's now December. I never looked so hard for a job and not got one before. Yes I know difficult times, difficult economy, blah blah. All that being said it still bothers me A LOT. The self esteem has hit some hurdles to say the least. I've had some great interviews that I thought surely I would get, but none the less didn't. My wellness coach (Pooh) just keeps telling me to work on myself, and keep believing God has the perfect job out there for me. I'm doing that, but some days it still gets to me. I thought once I finished school that my housewife/stay at home mom days were over, and that just isn't the case yet. Don't get me wrong I love my family, and I've been very fortunate to be able to be home with my kids most of the years. So for right now I keep looking for work, and find more corners to cut. Here is a list of things that I found corners to cut when I thought there was no more corners to cut:
  • We were doing movie rental night once every two weeks-CUT- now we rent movies from the library for free.
  • Eating out- REDUCE CUT- we are down to once every two weeks with an occasional dollar menu deal for the kids on late game nights.
  • Snack Items-HEALTHY CUT- more veggies and popcorn, less on chips, sugar treats.
  • Entertainment-there wasn't a whole lot there to begin with, but we combined entertainment with the kids sporting events, and do more family game night activities.
  • Nickel and dime items-meaning novelty items from the checkout or gas station-CUT-substituted with the cold hard facts for the kids we don't need this and the money I would spent on that candy bar can be used toward gas money to pick up one of your friends, etc.
  • Signing up for various things the school needs help with, instead of always being able to donate things I find I'm volunteering my time now.

These are some of the ways to cut some corners in our life. Do you have areas you cut that may be helpful?

1 comment:

The Polo Club said...

Getting a job is really hard, but you are right that you are blessed to be able to have stayed home with your kids. Every morning when I drop off the baby, I wish that I did not have to and that I could stay home with her and take care of her myself. But like you said, it is too hard financially and Eric and I can't afford it. So, I guess for now I will thank God that I have a job to go to and pray for you to find one.