Wednesday, August 24, 2011

First Day of School


Yesterday was the first day of school. I thought it would go smoother...I was wrong. I tried to be organize, but I missed the mark here a little bit. The teenagers just kept throwing one obstacle after another. By now we have a school routine in place from years and years. This year is obviously about change...I missed that memo.

My baby boy started his freshman year yesterday I was so busy that I forgot to stop and have that little moment of "where have the years gone". I don't have little kids anymore...Maddie is a junior this year, and Brandon is a freshman. It's funny how you blink and lose 5 or 6 years.

Almost every year on the first day Brandon wears a sports jersey. He's always cared about his appearance, but now he fights for bathroom time and mirror time. He is my kid that will want jeans ironed and uses a lint roller before walking out of the house. His change this year is he want up earlier....5:15 am instead of 5:45, bigger lunch, and finally after all these years doing homework right away. When he tells me about his day he goes class by class and tells me one good thing and at least one bad thing. Then right before bed any situation he encountered throughout the day and retells me and asks what would you have done mom.

Maddie will stress about any new rule that the school has added on. This year she has her first study hall. I thought with her added college class she might want it. She's not super impressed at this point. This should have been a walk in the park kind of year. So far not quite the case. She's upset that her brother has the same lunch as her, upset that over half of her friends are at ehove or bg. She is my child who likes to be super organized, and if her organization isn't just so she freaks out.

Sometimes when the kids are talking a million miles a minute, I stop them tell them to take a deep breath and continue. I found myself saying this last night, but it was me taking the deep breaths and them continuing. I did find a lovely alternative to covering the books...a roll of packaging paper. This worked out so much better. I was flying through covering them books. Yes, they should cover them themselves, but the first week of school I still do it.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Two in highschool!?? Tommorrow is Isabelle's first day of Kindergarten (*sniffle*) I believe I am way more traumatized than her. She's all like, "preschool...kindergarten, what's the difference?" and I'm all like, "Oh the end of your babyhood!!" *sigh*

Keep those notes on organizing highschoolers. I'll need em in 8 or 10 years!!