Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Raising a Boy...part 100



Let me tell you why raising a boy can be so challenging for me....because I'm not one!!! My son is starting to get older and it gets harder and harder for me to figure out what is going on in his little head sometimes. Okay let me just get right to the story. He gets his sports magazine every month or week or something. This magazine is great for him on all kinds of levels. It keeps him reading about things that truely interest him sports. He will read this magazine from beginning to end. This time the swimsuit edition came in. (I was unaware he would be getting that one) I felt I couldn't ignore it, and I should say something to him about it. Let me just say this was a hard one for me. I let him know all kinds of things about women and men etc. Then I tried to lighten the mood a little and asked him if he had ever seen women with bathing suits like that at the local rec pool. He said no. We spent the rest of the conversation giving examples of real women and bathing suit models. I've spent so much time with the girls letting them know that they don't have to look like women in a magazine to be beautiful. Both of the girls are beautiful and are strong women. Now I must try to teach my son that a girl is beautiful because of who she is not what she looks like. I feel like I've got work to do with this child. It's weird teaching beauty to your son and it's almost like I have to teach him backwards. I think it is extremly important to not avoid these topics with our sons but take that time to talk about the hard subjects.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having a boy is something I can't relate to but as a Grami, it sure is a new experience understanding them. I think I'm getting better at it, aren't I????