Sunday, September 4, 2011

Twilight Zone...or so I think


The last two weeks seem to be straight out of one of those old black and white Alfred Hitchcock movies. When I watched this as a kid it did a couple of things one half way through I was like "what?, huh?" or it took me to the very end and left me shaking my head. This in general, now that I think about it, describes teenagers.

We've had festivals left and right, exciting things happening at school and not so exciting, we've cried through most of the drivers ed which ended up just fine (as I said it would), we've seen huge growths and some immature moments that leave you thinking 'are you 5 yrs old again?', I've had some couponing trips that leave me impressed with myself which of course get squashed by a larger bill here and there, and we've thrown in some unexpected trips to JoAnne fabrics for sewing items that walmart just doesn't carry.

Now all of this being said I've been catching myself capturing some brief moments in time to see some great things and meet some great people that ordinary don't ever come up in the middle of crazy busy life. I met an 85 yr. old man today with his walker and stool sitting alone in the shade waiting on the parade. I stopped and took a sip of water and began talking with him. It was one of those conversations that make you stop and listen to every word like you were a child listening to a great story. The other day I got a phone call from a lady from book club asking me if I had a few hours to spare to help her set up a lunch she'd already prepared for the workers out at habitat for humanity. I went with her and was blessed from start to finish, within those blessings I met a 93 yr. old man...he asked me to hand him his pliers that he'd left on the truck...he was up on a ladder.

Through all the crazies there is a spot of shade or a glass of tea that brings time to a small stand still to let you enjoy a moment of "awe".

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Okay, a bit off topic, but you made me think of that alred hitchcock movie we watched when we were kids: me, you, and Becky S I think. The one about the pig faced people who thought normal people were so ugly. Freaking scary stuff! *shiver*