Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Festival Weekend?


Labor Day Weekend! The sign of summer being at an end, and fall approaching. The first picture is of a cake that I couldn't pass up. I thought it was a perfect fit for the weekend. The ants are plastic just in case you thought differently.

Emily and her family came up from Chicago this weekend and we were able to visit with them on Saturday. I took my camera, but spent too much time talking and forgot all about taking pictures. (Sorry about that) It was great to catch up with her.


I had almost made it through the weekend without having to attend the melon festival. I was a little excited to tell ya the truth. And then like a twist of comical fate the kids friends and Grandma showed up to invite them to the New London festival. I had dinner on that I'd been preparing for hours so I said 'no'. The Grandma wouldn't hear of such a word. So we decided to meet them at the festival after dinner. We all went, the kids got to be with their friends and we got to walk around and visit. The festival was very similar to the Melon Festival but the lay out is a little different (more roomy). The festival was $5 a piece to get in and included parking, rides, the special event (which happen to be the tractor pull last night), and the fireworks after the festival (which we did not stay for since it was a school night). The kids had a great time and especially enjoyed being with their friends. Friends always make a festival better. They since a bunch more friends from school, and friends that had moved away. It made me think of this....The melon festival was where I always met up with friends and socialized. Now my children are going to festivals to meet up with friends and socialize. So even though we didn't go to the melon festival this weekend, the same tradition of going to the festivals and meeting up with friends and socializing is still the same for us on Labor Day weekend, and obviously not something I'm going to be able to skip out on.


2 comments:

Danielle said...

how fun! We were up north and ALMOST went to both festivals, but luckily ;) we missed out. But oh the memories!

Anonymous said...

YOUR CHILDREN SEEM TO REALLY ENJOY THE RIDES. I'M GLAD YOU GUYS GOT TO GO.